OUR TOP PICKS
Friday: Margo Price, Colter Wall at Emo’s. A star of last year’s South by Southwest, Price didn’t play the official event this year, but she still turned up at Willie Nelson’s Luck Reunion last Thursday and blazed through the best set of the day. That was just a 40-minute teaser for the full show she and her ace band will play at Emo’s. Opener Colter Wall, a Canadian upstart whose self-titled debut album came out last year, opens. $17. 8 p.m. doors. 2015 E. Riverside Drive. emosaustin.com.
Saturday: Jerry Jeff Walker at Paramount Theatre. It’s too bad Garth Brooks’s show in Austin last weekend didn’t include “Night Rider’s Lament,” the Michael Burton song Walker made famous in the mid-’70s long before Brooks recorded it in the ’90s. But then again, if we want to hear Walker’s own version, we might get that chance this weekend. The Scamp’s annual Texas Bash returns to the Paramount on Saturday ($40-$80, 8 p.m., 713 Congress Ave., austintheatre.org) before a second night in New Braunfels at Gruene Hall on Sunday (sold out, 7 p.m., 1281 Gruene Road, gruenehall.com).
AUSTIN360 ARTIST OF THE MONTH: My Education
Saturday: My Education album release at Sidewinder. “Schiphol,” the latest release from this long-running Austin instrumental band, starts out quietly and deliberately, fading into a short “Intro” track with droning strings, echoing guitars and the kind of spacious atmospherics that have been a hallmark of the group’s work since the beginning. Over the next few songs, the music intensifies, pulls back, and swirls into psychedelic waves, traversing a dynamic range that makes the band hard to pin down to any one style or subgenre, much to their credit. Our Austin360 Artist of the Month for March celebrates its release with an indoor/outdoor bash at Sidewinder that will include sets by Megafauna, Total Unicorn, Knifight and others. $10-$12. 7 p.m. 715 Red River St. thesidewinderaustin.com.
- Rodeo Austin with Cody Johnson at Travis County Expo Center
- Envy on the Coast at Mohawk Outdoor
- Kaleider, Groove Think, Seek Irony at Stubb’s indoor
- Croy & the Boys, Bad Lovers at Hotel Vegas
- Steel Wheels, Daisy O’Connor at Cactus Cafe
- Warhorses, Larry Joe Taylor, Denny Freeman at Saxon Pub
- Jeff Hughes & Chaparral at ABGB
- John Evans, Mark Jungers at Sam’s Town Point
- Rodeo Austin with Kevin Fowler at Travis County Expo Center
- Power Trip, Iron Age, Glue at Mohawk Outdoor
- Shawn Phillips at Cactus Cafe
- Speedy Sparks & the Koolerators, Big Love for Evan Johns tribute at Sam’s Town Point
- Little Brave, Belle Sounds at One-2-One Bar
- Booher, Harvest Thieves at ABGB
- Microsessions with Bonnie Whitmore & Craig Bagby, Jesse Lege & Peter Schwarz, Christy Hays, Brother Superior at Music Lab St. Elmo
- Dale Watson at C-Boy’s
- Heybale at Continental Club
- Resentments, John Gaar at Saxon Pub
- Greg Cartwright, Golden Boys, Mind Spiders at Barracuda