OUT THIS WEEK
Whiskey Shivers, “Some Part of Something.” Recordings are inherently kind of a tough proposition for bands such at insurgent bluegrass stompers Whiskey Shivers, whose identity is inextricably tied into the energy they unleash onstage. They bottle that energy well, though, on “Some Part of Something,” driving the songs forward with hot musicianship and full-throated vocal fervor. Though they rely heavily on the personality of fiddling frontman Bobby Fitzgerald, this is a full-band effort, with charismatic contributions from banjo plucker Jame Bookert, bass thumper Andrew VanVoorhees, washboard banger James Gwyn and guitarist Jeff “Horti” Hortillosa (who also recently released the solo album “Corpus Callosum”). They throw a couple of creative curveballs in the mix: The Cure’s new-wave staple “Friday I’m in Love” proves surprisingly adaptable to acoustic-string instrumentation, and the album closes with a lovely, lilting take on Daniel Johnston’s classic “True Love Will Find You In The End.” After spending much of the summer and fall on an extended national tour, they’ll look forward to the December premiere of the film “Pitch Perfect 3,” in which they make a cameo appearance. Release show July 22 at Mohawk. Here’s the opening track, a trippy, slightly psychedelic take on the traditional tune “Cluck Ol’ Hen”:
- JULY 28: Black Heart Saints, “Alive,” release show July 28 at One-2-One Bar.
- JULY 28: Rachel Reese, “Siren” EP, release show July 25 at One-2-One Bar.
- AUG. 4: Milligan Vaughan Project, “MVP,” release show July 21 at One-2-One Bar, playing Aug. 9 on Texas Radio Live at Guero’s.
- AUG. 18: Ray Wylie Hubbard, “Tell the Devil I’m Getting There As Fast As I Can” (Bordello).
- AUG. 18: Savage Poor, “The Grown Ups,” release show July 26 at One-2-One Bar.
- AUG. 23: Jean Caffeine, “Sadie Saturday Night,” release show Sept. 1 at Hole in the Wall, in-store Sept. 3 at Antone’s Record Shop.
- AUG. 25: Fairbanks & the Lonesome Light, “Nothing to Escape.”
- SEPT. 1: Johnny Dango, “Recluse in Plain Sight.”
- SEPT. 15: Ray Prim, “To Whom It May Concern,” release show Sept. 15 at North Door.
- OCT. 6: Whitney Rose, “Rule 62” (Six Shooter).
- NOV. 3: Jackie Venson, “Transcends” EP.