OUT THIS WEEK
Milligan Vaughan Project, “MVP” (Mark One). Something just feels naturally right about this pairing of longtime standout vocalist Malford Milligan with blues-rock guitar veteran Tyrone Vaughan, son of Austin legend Jimmie Vaughan. “MVP” combines the results of sessions with Milligan’s former Storyville bandmate David Grissom (who also co-wrote several tracks here) and Omar Vallejo of family-band Vallejo, plus two bonus tracks recorded live at the One-2-One Bar earlier this year. The mostly hard-boiled, full-throated blues-rock material includes a handful of songs Vaughan wrote or co-wrote (including one with Milligan), plus covers from the likes of blues master Buddy Guy and gospel great James Cleveland. We’ll have more on MVP, including interviews with Milligan and Vaughan, in next Tuesday’s American-Statesman and online at mystatesman.com. Playing Aug. 5 at Antone’s (early) and Saxon Pub (late); live broadcast Aug. 9 from Guero’s Oak Garden on Sun Radio’s “Texas Radio Live”; in-store Aug. 10 at Waterloo Records. Here’s the opening track, “Soul Satisfaction”:
She Sir, “Rival Island” (Shelflife). The long-in-coming follow-up to the indie dream-pop quartet’s 2006 debut “Who Can’t Say Yes” features 10 tracks recorded with local producer Louie Lino (Nada Surf, Christina Cavazos). The band also celebrates a vinyl reissue of their first album at the “Rival Island” release show Aug. 4 at Mohawk. Here’s the opening track, “Private Party”:
- AUG. 18: Ray Wylie Hubbard, “Tell the Devil I’m Getting There As Fast As I Can” (Bordello), playing Aug. 10 at Shady Grove, in-store Aug. 15 at Waterloo Records.
- AUG. 18: Savage Poor, “The Grown Ups.”
- AUG. 18: Peacemakers, self-titled, in-store Aug. 13 at Antone’s Record Shop, playing Wednesdays in August at Evangeline Cafe.
- AUG. 23: Jean Caffeine, “Sadie Saturday Night,” release show Sept. 1 at Hole in the Wall, in-store Sept. 3 at Antone’s Record Shop.
- AUG. 25: Stephen Doster, “New Black Suit” (Atticus), release show Sept. 9 at Townsend.
- AUG. 25: Fairbanks & the Lonesome Light, “Nothing to Escape.”
- SEPT. 1: Johnny Dango, “Recluse in Plain Sight.”
- SEPT. 10: These Fine Moments, “Break It, Bought It,” release show Sept. 10 at One-2-One Bar.
- SEPT. 15: Ray Prim, “To Whom It May Concern,” release show Sept. 15 at North Door.
- SEPT. 22: Midnight Stroll, “Western Static.”
- OCT. 6: Whitney Rose, “Rule 62” (Six Shooter).
- NOV. 3: Jackie Venson, “Transcends” EP.