OUT THIS WEEK
Chris Fullerton, “Epilepsy Blues” (Eight 30). Released independently earlier this year but now getting picked up by influential Americana label Eight 30, “Epilepsy Blues” is indeed quite deserving of a wider airing. Not quite a debut — Fullerton’s Bandcamp page shows prior releases in 2016 and 2013 — “Epilepsy Blues” is regardless a coming-out occasion for a singer-songwriter who deals daily with the difficult condition cited in the album’s name. The title track tackles his disorder with gallows humor (“I just can’t shake these epilepsy blues”). Elsewhere, Fullerton proves a powerful writer of romantic ballads with “Float on Up and See,” and displays a charming penchant for Tex-Mex surrealism on “El Paso Spacedance.” The six-minute album-closer “Seven Roman Candles” is equal parts foreboding and fascinating, sprinkled with excerpts of a Louise Gluck poem (voiced by Lindsay Preston). From start to finish, “Epilepsy Blues” is full of songs that demand to be heard, from a brave writer who doesn’t back away from the dark heart of the matter. Release show Aug. 25 at Threadgill’s South. Here’s a live version of the title track from a Lone Star Music/KOKE-FM party at Threadgill’s during this year’s South by Southwest:
- AUG. 18: Ray Wylie Hubbard, “Tell the Devil I’m Gettin’ There As Fast As I Can” (Bordello), in-store Aug. 15 at Waterloo Records.
- AUG. 18: Savage Poor, “The Grown Ups.”
- AUG. 18: Peacemakers, self-titled, in-store Aug. 13 at Antone’s Record Shop, playing Wednesdays in August at Evangeline Cafe.
- AUG. 18: Lola & the Huntsmen, “Don’t Get Lonely,” release show Aug. 19 at Mohawk indoor.
- AUG. 18: Quiet Company, “Your Husband, the Ghost” EP, in-store Aug. 18 at Waterloo Records, release show Aug. 19 at Barracuda.
- AUG. 25: A Giant Dog, “Toy” (Merge), release show Aug. 26 at Hotel Vegas.
- AUG. 25: Stephen Doster, “New Black Suit” (Atticus), release show Sept. 9 at Townsend.
- AUG. 25: Fairbanks & the Lonesome Light, “Nothing to Escape.”
- AUG. 31: Pulkingham Layne, “Stringology,” release show Aug. 31 at Cactus Cafe.
- SEPT. 1: Jean Caffeine, “Sadie Saturday Night” (Joe), release show Sept. 1 at Hole in the Wall, in-store Sept. 3 at Antone’s Record Shop.
- SEPT. 1: Johnny Dango, “Recluse in Plain Sight.”
- SEPT. 10: These Fine Moments, “Break It, Bought It,” release show Sept. 10 at One-2-One Bar.
- SEPT. 15: Ray Prim, “To Whom It May Concern,” release show Sept. 15 at North Door.
- SEPT. 22: Balmorhea, “Clear Language” (Western Vinyl), in-store Sept. 24 at Waterloo Records.
- SEPT. 22: Midnight Stroll, “Western Static.”
- SEPT. 22: Walker Lukens, “Tell It to the Judge.”
- OCT. 6: Whitney Rose, “Rule 62” (Six Shooter).
- NOV. 3: Jackie Venson, “Transcends” EP.