Summer’s almost here, and that means just one thing at Austin’s home of the blues: A monthlong blowout bash to celebrate the storied venue’s anniversary.
This year marks 43 years since the club opened at Sixth and Brazos streets in 1975. Whether it’s actually the 43rd anniversary depends on whether or not you count the club’s two-year hibernation in 2014-15. Regardless, it’s been important to Austin’s reputation as a music mecca to have Antone’s back in action, at a new location just a couple of blocks from where it all began.
Highlights include New Orleans Night on June 30 with Walter “Wolfman” Washington and more; C.C. Adcock leading a Southwest Louisiana swamp night on July 6; that “Blues Brothers” movie star Matt “Guitar” Murphy heading up Chicago Night on July 7; a July 12 show featuring guitar great Jimmie Vaughan with his Tilt-A-Whirl Band; and an intriguing stylistic addition on July 13 with Houston hip-hop luminary Bun B, a native of club founder Clifford Antone’s hometown of Port Arthur.
Tickets to all shows go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday via the venue’s website. Here’s the full schedule:
- June 29: Opening Night with Carolyn Wonderland, Jackie Venson, Bill “Howl-N-Madd” Perry
- June 30: Early: Augie Meyers with Westside Horns, Jack Barber, Ernie Durawa & Murali Coryell / Late: New Orleans Night with Walter “Wolfman” Washington & the Roadmasters, New Breed Brass Band
- July 3: Peterson Brothers
- July 6: Early: “The Wild Jalapeno” Frank Rodarte y Los Chosen Vatos / Late: SW Louisiana Swampede with CC Adcock, Tommy McLain, Lil Buck Sinegal & Lee Allen Zeno
- July 7: Chicago Night with Matt “Guitar” Murphy, Billy Boy Arnold, Bob Stroger, Bob Margolin, Carl Weathersby & Kenny “Beedy Eyes” Smith
- July 8: Miss Lavelle White’s 89th Birthday with WC Clark, Guy Forsyth & Very Special Guests
- July 9: Ilse’s Birthday Party & Ultimate Blue Monday with Derek O’Brien, Marcia Ball, Malford Milligan, Chris Layton, Jai Malano, Julia Magness, Alan Haynes, James Bullard & Special Guests
- July 10: Sue Foley Band, Lou Ann Barton, Barbara Lynn
- July 11: Cliff’s Kids Reunion with Eve Monsees & Friends
- July 12: Jimmie Vaughan & the Tilt-A-Whirl Band
- July 13: Bun B
- July 14: Early: Johnny Nicholas / Late: Big Bill Morganfield, Eddy “The Chief” Clearwater
- July 20: Los Texmaniacs featuring Flaco Jimenez & Augie Meyers, Roy Head
- July 21: Early: Paul Oscher / Late: CJ Chenier & the Red Hot Louisana Band, Christone “Kingfish” Ingram
- July 28: Closing Night with Bob Schneider